The internet has become a valuable communication and learning tool for Edina staff and students. Online safety is necessary to help make each learning experience a safe journey.
At Edina Public Schools, we understand no two children are the same: parenting strategies that work for one family may not work for another. These resources are meant to be used as a toolkit that can assist with navigating commonly requested parenting strategies and information.
Reminder: You are the parent. You have the right to limit device usage in your home at your discretion.
- Do you allow screens in the bedroom? Devices in the bedroom: should they be banned? discusses the impact of screen time in the bedroom.
- What does an internet search say about you? NYTimes: They Loved Your GPA Then They Saw Your Tweets discusses the importance of your internet presence.
- GoGuardian Parent App allows parents to see a student's high-level browsing history on their district-provided device.
- Increase productivity and reduce time spent on time-wasting sites with the Stay Focusd app.
- Google Family Link lets you set digital ground rules to help guide you student as they learn, play, and explore online.
- This is restricted to personal accounts and devices.
- iOS Guided Access limits your iOS device to a single app and lets you control which features are available.
- Access tools and features that help people better understand their Android device usage through Beta: Google’s Digital Wellbeing.
- Help monitor your own usage and behavior with How to Find Out Which Apps and Websites You're Most Addicted To.
- Access real-time reports about how much time you spend on your iOS device and set limits for what you want to manage with iOS: Screen Time on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- The American Academy of Pediatricians recommends two hours of entertainment-based screen time for your student. How much time are they spending online? View The Difference Between Educational & Entertainment Screen Time to learn more.
- View 10 technology guidelines from Young Children and Screens.
- How to Set Screen Rules That Stick
- From social media to gaming, start managing your kids’ online activity. Customize what’s right to keep your family safe online. Set healthy time limits and filter content—across every device—with Disney's app Circle.
- Limit screen time, manage apps, lock devices, and track location with Mobicip.
- Use router-level filtering that allows customized profiles to define content filters, time schedules, and more with NETGEAR.
- OurPact: A mobile-based catch-all family locator and screen time management solution.